When we opened the restaurant, I said I would never serve a buffet. Now I know if you don’t want to do something, just say that’s the thing you’ll never do. We have a party room upstairs, and despite valiant efforts to pass hors d’oeuvres, the party we host most often and execute best is the buffet.
Nine times out of ten, Citrus Sweet Potato Butter finds its way into one of our chafing dishes. It’s a crowd-pleaser and a concise way to articulate fall on a plate. Serve it with Butter-Baked Turkey with Pecan Cranberry Relish and Warm Sorghum Vinaigrette (page 144 in my cookbook Deep Run Roots) or the Big Bone-In Pork Chops with Pickled Peanut Salad (page 394).
Citrus Sweet Potato Butter Recipe
- Roasted sweet potatoes, peeled, 1 ½ pounds (about 3 medium)
- Zest of orange, removed with microplane, ½ orange
- Zest of lime, removed with microplane, ½ lime
- Zest of lemon, removed with microplane, ½ lemon
- Orange juice, ½ cup
- Light brown sugar, ¼ cup
- Butter, melted, ⅓ cup
- Salt, 1 teaspoon
- Hot sauce, 2 dashes
Prep & Serve
- Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth like baby food.
- To heat and serve, put a little water in the bottom of a saucepan and add the potatoes.
- Heat over low heat, stirring often to make sure they don’t burn.
Want access to this simple recipe for later?
Download the recipe below and enjoy it for yourself when you’re ready to make it at home!