(Recipe serves 4)
As you might imagine, I’m a nut when it comes to what my kids eat. But despite my tyrannical efforts, forces in the universe sent Theo and Flo chicken tenders, ketchup and barbecue sauce. This recipe is my finger in the face of the universe.
- Chicken thighs, 4 skin-on
- Vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon
- Red onion, 1/2 onion minced (about 1/2 cup)
- Strawberries, 2 cups diced
- Fresh thyme, 1/2 teaspoon picked
- Fresh sage, 1 teaspoon chopped
- Honey, 1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon
- Water, 1 cup
- Red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup
- Juice of one orange
Cooking the Chicken Thighs
- Preheat your oven to 450º F.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and a little black pepper.
- In a medium skillet with a heavy bottom, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until just smoking.
- Add the thighs, skin side down, lower your heat to medium and allow them to brown nicely. Fat should render out and fond (the little tasty bits that stick to the bottom of the pan when browning something) should start to accumulate. This is good and the reason you would never use a non-stick skillet here.
- Once the skin side is golden, flip the thighs over and let them cook about 30 seconds on the flesh side.
- Transfer them to a baking dish and slide the little guys into the oven.
Preparing the Strawberry Sauce
- Quickly turn your attention to the skillet. Pour off all but 2 Tbsp. of the accumulated fat and drop in the red onion.
- Hit the red onion with a pinch of salt and stir, using the onions and your spoon to scrape up all of the tasty fond.
- Let the onions sweat for about 1 minute and drop in the strawberries, the black pepper and another pinch of salt. The salt will allow the strawberries to begin breaking down and the black pepper, added to a semi-dry pan will toast and develop a more complex flavor in the finished sauce.
- After about 2 minutes, add the thyme, sage, honey, sugar, water, red wine vinegar and orange juice.
- Bring this all up to a boil and let it cook down to a thin syrupy consistency, about 4 minutes.
Pull the thighs out of the oven and spoon the strawberry sauce over top. Return them to the oven for two minutes for a total cooking time of about 30 minutes. Serve the chicken with lots of the ketchupy looking sauce alongside steamed broccoli to the happy healthy nugget eaters, young and old, in your life.
Download the recipe now to enjoy this family favorite at your leisure!